This video by 3Blue1Brown (2017) is a beginner’s guide to what blockchain techonology and bitcoin are. I found this video on YouTube when preparing for the Blueprint assignment.

The video asks for interaction at the end because it prompts viewers to share and the content so that more people can have access to it. The author also included links to videos that talk about this topic from a more in-depth level in his description, encouraging viewers to explore deeper if they want. Another way that the author tries to inspire interaction is through providing his opinions. He made some value judgments and analogies that may prompt viewers to want to comment or respond.

I would suggest my learners experience trading cryptocurrencies using a simulator or building blockchain patches to understand how blockchain works on this platform. These activities will help them apply the knowledge they have learned to real-world scenarios. These activities are also more interactive and fun.

Students will be asked to submit screenshots from these activities to the Google Site for the course. After the instructors see their screenshots, they will write comments and feedback and return back on the Google Site.

Even though I believe that the video is a good learning resource because it uses analogies that are easy to understand to explain the complex concept of cryptocurrency, I feel that it may present some barriers to certain learners. One good thing is that the video has close-captioning, which makes it easier for learners with hearing disabilities. However, because the video uses animations, mindmaps, and graphics to illustrate a complex idea, it would be difficult for learners with impaired vision to grasp the idea. The video is also quite long (at over 20 minutes) for learners who do not have access to a computer at home and use data plan for internet connection. Lastly, some of the analogies may be difficult to understand for an English Language Learner because they use idioms or cultural references that are more applicable in Western society.

3Blue1Brown. (2017, July 7). But how does bitcoin actually work [Video]? YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBC-nXj3Ng4&t=91s&ab_channel=3Blue1Brown

Image Alt Text: A graph showing the real-time price of a cryptocurrency