Joseph – Learning Design II

Hi Joseph, you have also talked about experiential learning like I did. You have included a concept about how learners can balance opposing modes in the learning cycle on their own, which I have not covered in my post. I also agree with you that for an approach that is reliant on practical application to real-world scenarios, it may be problematic for a more theoretical topic. However, I have taken a music theory class where the instructor has asked us to build a model of our throat (larynx) using paper. She asked us to examine how the vocal folds work at different levels of closure using the paper model, since it would be impossible for us to observe a real model of someone’s throat in real life. I feel that this may be using an experiential approach because we get to understand a theory through practice. So perhaps, there is a way for you to incorporate such theory into your topic. Maybe you can ask your learners to build a model of the virus using paper or any found material as well.

Yixi – Interaction

Hi Yixi. We both talked about using video as a learner-generated media interaction. However, our opinions differ in the sense that you contended that videos do not force learners to respond in an inherent way, while I think there are sometimes cues within videos that will incentivize learners to interact, either by commenting, subscribing, or sharing the content. However, we both agree that learners may want to interact with the content in some meaningful ways for extended learning. I also like how you proposed blogging about the videos as a good learning tool for instructors to evaluate learner’s progress. I think we have done the same in our EDCI 335 class, where we would respond to a resource with a blog post. I think therefore, it is important for the design of the course to ensure interaction when such interaction is not inherent in the content of the resource. You mentioned at the end that this kind of course design may place the burden of learning on the instructors rather than relying on the spontaneous efforts of learners. I was wondering how the selection of interactive resources can mitigate this problem. How about choosing a video that asks for comments or poses a question? What about videos that belong to a series of videos so that students are more inclined to watch the entire series? What about videos with cliffhangers?

Image Alt Text: